I just realized I never posted this – better late than never, right?
As I write I have dozens of playlists that I filter through. Some are general playlists for when I need a certain mood or have a certain setting. Others are specific to the book, and songs for specific scenes.
Leading up to the release of the book, I tease these playlists with lyric images for #MusicMonday on my social media. Then, I release the whole playlist after the book is out with explanations. In advance of The Crystal Tour for the release of Crystal Crowned, I’ll kick off Music Mondays with the final Water’s Wrath playlist!
Note… There are some light spoilers for Water’s Wrath below. I was pretty vague, but if you’re sensitive to spoilers you may want to wait until you read the book.
1) Alone Together by Fall Out Boy
This is a Vhalla/Jax song for me. And not in a romantic way! There’s elements of their personalities that really mirror each other’s in different ways. When Jax first finds her in the Crossroads this is how I see their relationship, them being alone together.
- “It’s not my fault I’m a maniac.”
- “My heart is like a stallion, they love it more when it’s broken.”
- “I don’t know where you’re going, but do you have room for one more troubled soul?”
2) Crash and Burn by Savage Garden
First off, shout out to Savage Garden, my love for this duo has never died! (That early 2000s music video though… LOL) Of course, this echoes Vhalla and Aldrik, and the reference to “burn” can’t be ignored.
- “If you need to fall apart, I can mend a broken heart. If you need to crash than crash and burn you’re not alone.”
- “When hopes and dreams are far away and you feel like you can’t face the day.”
3) War of Hearts by Ruelle
The tension in this song is very Vhalla/Aldrik to me. Where Crash and Burn is optimistic and hopeful, what they want to be to each other, War of Hearts is a bit more literal. I think it describes them at the start of the book when they struggle with what they are and what they can be.
- “I can’t help but love you, even though I try not to.”
- “Come to me in the night hours, I will wait for you.”
- “Thoughts of you consume.”
4) I’m a Mess by Ed Sheeran
When I first heard this song I had no question that it had to go on the Water’s Wrath playlist. This is 1000% Aldrik. All you have to do is listen to/read the lyrics to see:
- “See the flames inside my eyes, it burns so bright I want to feel your love. Easy baby, maybe I’m a liar. But for tonight I want to fall in love. Put your faith in my stomach.”
- “Oh I’m a mess right now, inside out.”
- “Drinking to suppress devotion, with fingers intertwined.”
- “And though I’ve only caused you pain, you know with all of my words were always beloved”
5) The Show Must Go On by Queen
Classic rock. This is one of the most epic songs out there and if you’ve never heard it (or only heard the Moulin Rouge cover) you MUST listen to the original. There’s lyrics that I think describe the entire main cast, as each character is faced with that point in which they must push forward despite everything falling apart around them.
- “Another hero, another mindless crime” (Baldair)
- “Whatever happens, I’ll leave it all to chance, another heartache, another failed romance” (Aldrik)
- “Outside the dawn is breaking, but inside in the dark I’m aching to be free” (Vhalla)
6) Gravity by Sarah Bareilles
Another Vhalla/Aldrik song. This song really describes Vhalla’s mindset in the beginning of the book and is a sort of testament to all the unhealthy aspects of her relationship that she works to fix, escape, repair, remove, etc, throughout the books.
- “Oh, you loved me ’cause I’m fragile, when I thought that I was strong. But you touch me for a little while, and all my fragile strength is gone”
- “You hold me without touch, you keep me without chains”
- “But you’re neither friend nor foe though I can’t seem to let you go”
- “Something always brings me back to you… It never takes too long”
7) Stay by Rihanna (feat. Mikky Ekko)
Tired of Vhalla/Aldrik songs yet? It’s a pretty transformation heavy book for them so I have a lot that I swapped out when writing. There’s one lyric that when I first heard it I knew this song had to be on my playlist:
- “Funny you’re the broken one but I’m the only one who needed saving. ‘Cause when you never see the light it’s hard to know which one of us is caving.”
8) I am SHERlocked from Sherlock
This is an instrumental only song… But the way it builds (and how it was used in the original show) holds so much emotion. I played it when I wrote the “crowning” scene toward the end of the book.
9) Trade Mistakes by Panic! At the Disco
Yet another song that has lyrics which describe a number of the characters. By this point in the series, most characters have made mistake they wished they could trade away, the kind that keeps them up at night. Fun fact… Most Panic! At the Disco songs I think of Jax with. Brendon Urie’s mannerisms and humor (not appearance) I imagine to be VERY Jax. So this song has dual meanings, one for book 4 with a bunch of characters, and one special to Jax’s history.
- “Let me save you of this wrong.” (Baldair)
- “I may never sleep tonight, as long as you’re still burning bright.” (Vhalla)
- “If I ever leave I could learn to miss you with sentimental boy as my nom de plume.” (Daniel)
- “If I could trade mistakes for sheep, count me away before you sleep.” (Aldrik)
10) Brother (Stripped Back Version) by Matt Corby
This is the one lyric image I never posted during #MusicMondays for Water’s Wrath. This song, specifically the stripped back version, is so haunting, and perfect, and heartbreaking… It is 100% a Baldair/Aldrik song.
- “Sleep now under my skin, make sure you’ll try to conjure the wind. And ease my mind”
- “Somebody call out to your brother, he’s calling out your name”
- “You couldn’t help out your own neighbor. You couldn’t tell it to his face. You were fucked up by the blame.”
- “Wait there. Pull yourself out of this state dear. Acknowledge you were a fake here, from there on you might just grow.”
11) Undone by FFH
This song is the last on the playlist, and it represents the conclusion of the book for me.
- “We all want love, we all want honor, nobody wants to pay the asking price.”
- “It’s true what they say, love must be blind, that’s why Your still standing by the sinner’s side. Your still by my side when all the things I’ve done have left You bleedin’.”
- “The secrets I keep are tearing me up inside. I try to hide them and I wonder why. I wonder why I’m still runnin’ when I know theres no escapin’.”