If you’ve read anything about me and my writing you know how important music is to my creative process. It can help inspire scenes and characters, it can keep my mind in the right place, and it can even illuminate elements of a character that I never previously considered. Naturally, I have a playlist for each of my books and I thought I’d share some songs from Air Awakens with you lovely readers.
As everyone likely knows, Zedd’s song Clarity inspired the whole series. But, there are other songs I wrote to and that inspire characters for me.
(Yes, the quotes are actually from the chapters)
1. “Magic is not in the blood” – Chapter 2
- “Sky Becomes Water” by City of the Fallen
- If I had to pick a song that would be “Vhalla’s Theme” for the first book this would be. There’s something powerful, yet still soft about it. It’s an enchanting melody that has hints of romance, of mystery, of pure magic that really embodies the first book for me.
2. “I knew you would come” – Chapter 5
- “Dark Horse” cover by Sam Tsui and Peter Hollens
- Please present me a song that’s more “Aldrik” than this one. I wrote the scene before I heard Katy Perry’s original “Dark Horse” and when the first lyric was “I knew you were gonna come to me” it was instantly Aldrik. But, the original had an awful rap. This version is so much better IMHO and sung by two very talented men. Instant perfection.
- Lyrics I love – “So you wanna play with magic, you should know what you’re falling for.” — “You better choose carefully, because I’m capable of anything and everything.”
3. “And, for the first time in her life, Vhalla felt strong.” – Chapter 8
- “Amy in the Tardis” from Doctor Who
- The building mystery, wonder, and power behind this song I think fits Vhalla as she’s beginning to discover her magic. But, there’s still a sorrowful edge…
4. “This place is… it’s…” — “My home.” – Chapter 12
- “Liz On Top of the World” from Pride and Prejudice
- This is basically Vhalla in the garden. I’ll let you fill in the blanks when you read.
5. “He was there, but she didn’t know her way through that hallway…” – Chapter 14
- “A Different World” by Cecile Corbel (I could only find a live version on YouTube)
- Lyrics I love – “Your mind is restless when I think of you. We’re so alike, and so different…” — “Because I live in a different world, but I’m not so far away from you”
6. “Vhalla smiled brightly at his wide eyes…” – Chapter 21
- “I See the Light” from Tangled
- Lyrics I love: “All those days, watching from the windows…” — “All that time, never truly seeing things the way they were… If she’s here, I’m where I’m meant to go.” — “All at once, everything is different, now that I see you.”
7. “… they heard the echo of music across the water” – Chapter 22
- “Until” by Sting
- For the record, I put this song as Chapter 23 and the other one as 22 because this is in 3/3, a waltz time. But really, they both go for both…
- Lyrics I love: “What would it all matter, if you loved me?” — “Here in your arms where the world is impossibly still, and a matter of moments until the dancing ends…”
8. “I don’t smell it anymore.” – Chapter 23 & 24
9. “… his body was even warmer than his hands.” – Chapter 28
- “E.T.” by Katy Perry [Benny Benassi Remix]
- Okay, I swear I’m not the biggest Katy Perry fangirl ever. But it’s a bit poetic that she has two perfect songs for our main character’s relationship in this book. I love this remix also because it’s a little broken sounding which fits deliciously. Obviously the sci-fi element doesn’t fit. I put it at the end because, I think, by that point there’s still a lot of questions… (I won’t say more)
- Lyrics I love – “They say be afraid, you’re not like the others…”
10. “… the monster they all feared.” – Chapter 29
- “Guren no Yumiya” cover by Amanda Lee
- I love this version of this song. I love AmaLee’s lyrics and the fact that she made it a haunting melody. There’s SO much perfect about this song for the end of the book that I hope you agree
- Lyrics I love – “I refuse to be forgotten, written off as less than worthless” — “Scream and beg, but none will help you.” — “There are beings that live off our fears, and their words are like knives as they play with our lives. They’ll try to control you, as if they own you, will you let them steal your freedom?”
- (Seriously, just listen to this whole song after you’ve finished the book…)